Thursday, June 12, 2008

Recap


So I have been away for a bit. I have been under the weather the last couple days, but am feeling better today. So let’s recap:

Last Saturday I did a long run of 12.27 miles. I didn’t do as well as I had hoped it would. It was really hot outside, very humid. Averaged about 13:53 minute miles which is still within my goal for the 25k but just barely. So that was a little discouraging. But I am hoping it was just an off day. I had to walk quite a bit and even though I carried a 32oz camelback I drained it, so I think I got a little dehydrated and my iPod died at 8.3 miles. Which completely sucked. I really enjoy running to music and have a hard time running without music. I am thinking that if it ever stops raining I am going to do a “test” 25k. Go out at 0730 which is the start time of my race and try to run 15 miles and see how it goes in the morning before it gets hot outside. I really do not like the heat and I am praying to whom will listen to make July 5th a very cool day, even a light rain is fine with me.

After my run Melissa and I met a couple friends of hers out at Lake Nokomis for a BBQ and to watch some of their friends competing in the 24 hour race around the lake. I have run at Nokomis a lot, I did 4 laps around that lake on one run and I thought I was going to kill someone. I cannot imagine running around the same patch of 2.5 mile trail for 24 hours. But the BBQ was a lot of fun and it was cool to see the runners. When we got there they had already been racing for about 11 hours and some of the leaders were already in the 30 lap range… Crazy talk!

Other then that it has been raining on and off for a few days. Melissa and I did get a nice road ride in on Monday. We just did a quick 14 miles that was really fun. Melissa is getting ready for her 22 mile bike race in September so she is trying to ride faster and learn how to use her gears to her advantage. I have a single speed road bike and feel like I am a fairly fast rider but I was chasing her for most of the ride. I think we topped out at about 25 miles an hour on flat ground which I thought was pretty good for being on a fairly busy trail and having to pick our “fast” sprints carefully to make sure not to kill ourselves or anyone else. She is getting very fast and I know that the biking portion of this run and bike race she is doing is going to make up for any problems she might have on the running portion.

I took my first “kind” of bad fall on my mountain bike on Tuesday night. I was riding Lebanon Hills; I fell in a nasty rock garden called Tedman’s Curve. I ended up wedging my front tire between a couple rocks and tipping over and falling down a hill. I got pretty scratched and bruised up. But I was with some real caring friends, I got up and the first thing they said was, “Is your bike OK!” I was riding my Yeti and apparently it is more important then I am. My bike by the way is ok. I am too. It was an interesting ride. Everyone in our group of 5 except 1 person had a pretty bad fall that night. So for that ride the trail won the battle. Good news though I have been able to nail the drops in the XX loop the last few rides, so I am very happy with that.

I am hoping the rain stops for a while and the sun comes out, I really want and need to get some trail running in and the trail is going to way to muddy to run on. And of course with all of the rain the mountain bike trails are all closed. So I guess for now it is road rides and runs.

More later.

No comments: